Call Center Careers: How To Be A Successful Call Center Agent
The hours of operation vary depending on customer demand and the organization’s availability to meet it. Those offering customer service may offer a 24-hour service, either by telephone, email, or chat, while some have set hours of operation.
Most telemarketing call centers work afternoons with goals to target the busiest “at home” time for potential sales. Call centers have become an international medium for customer service inquiries or sales. Some even do both.
For individual who consider working in a call center, it is good to know just how variable call center services can be. Some offer a minimal wage with bonuses and incentives, while others have a higher base pay with promotional incentives. Some even offer only commissions based on sales.
In any case, you have to decide which model is right for you. The right individual can make excellent money working in a call center. Some of the difficulties of call center jobs are the endless hours of talking and long hours spent sitting at a desk, listening to scores of complaints from people, some who may be downright rude.
There are advantages however, one of which is that you get to speak to people from all over the world. You can also make good money and there’s often room for growth and change. In fact, change is one of the benefits call centers are well known for.
CALL CENTER EMPLOYEE JOBS
Here is an overview of the kinds of tasks that call centers may require of their employees.
* Direct distributors, contact potential customers by phone or through personal contacts, demonstrate and sell products directly to individual customers or at sales parties and deliver purchased goods to customers.
* Door-to-door salespersons solicit sales and sell merchandise to residents of private homes.
* Street vendors set up and display merchandise on sidewalks or at public events to sell to the public.
* Telephone solicitors and telemarketers contact businesses or private individuals, by telephone, to solicit sales for goods or services or conduct market surveys
* Demonstrators arrange sales demonstration appointments, and show, describe and sell goods or services at wholesale, retail and industrial establishments, and at exhibitions, trade shows and private homes.
EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR A CALL CENTER JOB
* Some secondary school education is usually required. High school graduation may be required by some employers.
* Self-employed street vendors and door-to-door salespersons may require a municipal merchant’s permit.
Progression to related supervisory positions is possible with additional training or experience. Where applicable, call centers will set up training and resources to keep the skills of their workers up-to-date and competitive.
BECOMING A SUCCESSFUL CALL CENTER AGENT
Becoming a call center agent is not as easy as it looks. It involves talking on the phone to someone you do not know and trying to convince them to buy a product, use a service, or sign up for a special offer.
Here are some skills and attributes you will require in becoming a successful call center agent.
The overall motivation will determine how they speak to people. So, successful call center agents are very motivated to do the job.
- Good product knowledge
In order to successfully speak about a product or a service, the call center agent must know about the product or the service. Call centers that train their employees effectively will have greater sales volumes.
- Positive Attitude
Your attitude comes through clearly on the phone. People can tell how you feel by the way you speak. When someone is happy and excited, those emotions will be evident, even on the phone. Angry, upset, or frustrated call center agents are usually not successful.
- Excellent rapport
A good call center agents will know the customer or at least build a good rapport. Know when it is a good time to call. Calling during dinner, early in the morning, or late at night will not be successful.
- Listening skills
Listening to what the customer has to say creates a mutual respect between you and the customer. Their comments and input can help you guide the direction of your call.
- Ability to set goals
If you are able to visualize your success you will want to work as hard and professionally as possible to ensure your sales are the best. Many call center agents receive bonuses or rewards for a job well done.
- Desire to succeed
Be happy with your success. Make note of what’s worked for you, and what has not. Seeing your growth and potential for further growth will continue to empower you and your call center skills.
Remember, being a call center agent is not an easy job, but it can be a very successful and rewarding job. Whether in sales or offering customer service, for the right person, working in a call center can be a fun and well paying career opportunity.
This article may be reprinted with a live link back to www.naaree.com
Sales Training Courses:
- Master Of The One Call Close – Do you want to master the “One Call Closing Method” used by the greatest salespeople in every industry, and easily make sale after sale? You really could be the next great sales legend in your division, your company and in your entire industry. Make more sales, make more money with fewer call-backs. You’ll not only learn how to make better presentations, you’ll learn 6 strong closing skills that will rock your sales and catapult you into Super Star sales status.
- 24 Techniques for Closing the Sale – Do you want to know the 24 best closing techniques? Now you can double, triple, or even reach 100 percent on your closing rate using 24 of the finest closing techniques ever devised. When you start using these easy to learn techniques – the customers will buy from you. Sales will be easier and you will make more money. In fact, when you learn these closing techniques, you’ll get them to buy – even when they say “It’s too expensive.”
- How To Be An Expert Persuader – If you don’t have excellent persuasion skills, you’re losing out on many vital aspects of your life (that includes your wealth, career, relationships, social and love life). Those who wittingly use the power and psychology of persuasion will always have a dominant edge over those who don’t. Can you afford being outdone or outsmarted by others? If you master the art of persuasion and know how to persuade someone instantly, everything that involves interacting or dealing with people becomes as easy as pie.
Write a Comment
Gravatars are small images that can show your personality. You can get your gravatar for free today!