Careers For Women Over 50: A New Inning In Your Golden Years
- Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 7:16
- Career Tips, Career Women, Indian Women, Success, Women Empowerment, Women's Interests
- Add a comment
It is a common misconception that women over 50 are near retirement and should spend their time relaxing at home. Many women will tell you that they beg to differ with such an assessment.
In the US, highly-educated, high-powered women who “opted out” of corporations, starting in the nineties to raise children and take care of ailing elders, have been returning to the workforce.
When their children are all settled in their own lives and they have a lot of time on their hands, women over 50 begin to think about themselves and venture out to pursue a new career. Career options for women over 50 are plentiful if one chooses to look for them.
A recent study in Psychology Today based on the 2010 list of Forbes’ Most Powerful Women pointed out an interesting trend: Of the 100 powerhouses on their list, more than 70 are over 50.
The article goes on to state, “It’s commonly accepted, particularly in marketing to women, that in terms of wealth and sense of confidence and well-being, women in the 50-plus age group are in the prime of their lives. But according to the Psychology Today post, they are also in the prime of their careers.”
The biggest advantage that the women over fifty have on their side is experience. They have raised their children, held their hands during difficult times, and rejoiced in their success. Life experiences have give them invaluable skills that no college degrees or courses can teach., After all ‘Life is the best teacher’.
With their understanding and emotional maturity older women have an edge over their younger counterparts and they can leverage these skills to achieve the success they deserve. Here we’ve listed some of the best careers for women in the above-mentioned age group.
For women over 50, consulting is a very lucrative career option. If you have been searching for careers for women over 50 then this can be a very good option for you. This job does not require any special office setup or staff requirement – just good networking and communication skills.
Women, by their very nature, are very good listeners; they have a lot of patience and often give very good advice. Therefore, women have the potential to become very good counsellors. Its no surprise that counselling jobs feature very high on the list of best careers for women of all age groups.
Women over the age of 50, especially, gain all the experience needed for this job thanks to a lifetime of dealing with family issues. Sharing this vast experience with others can really make a difference in somebody’s life. You can either work with a government group or strike out on your own as a self-employed professional.
Teaching Or Coaching
Many women over the age of 50 enjoy teaching others as a profession. Moreover, their teaching skills are refined by years spent coaching their children at home.
If you do not want to try the regular teaching jobs at schools and colleges, then you can join the growing league of business women and open your own coaching centre. What you teach will depend entirely on your interests and expertise.
The internet is fast developing as a powerful tool for those who want to work from home, especially women. Many women over 50 have found a new career on the internet. Popular choices include overseas tutoring jobs, internet marketing, customer service, virtual assistant jobs and writing assignments.
Careers for women over 50 are not limited to the options above. There are many other choices for older women to start a new career, including jobs in healthcare and hospitality industry.
Even the government offers a number of educational grants to women over 50 if they want to further their expertise in a specific field. Many women have also chosen to work with the government under non-profit schemes.
What do you think? Would you be ready to start a new career or business after 50? Would you be content with being where you are today?
This article may be reprinted with a live link back to www.naaree.com
Career Resources for Women:
- How To Answer Any Question An Interviewer Could Possibly Throw At You – Do you want to come off as “poised” and professional? Then prepare yourself! … Job Interviews are tricky. What you are about to discover here are over 137 modern, trust-building, faith-generating, eminently persuasive job interview answers designed for today’s savvy hiring managers and complex business world.
- Free Audio CD: Guerrilla Job Search Secrets – Imagine … getting the job you want, doing work you love … bringing home the salary you deserve. Guerrilla Resume gets you interviewed and hired in only 90 days. Why struggle to find a job when others do it so easily? Grab your Free audio CD and discover how to get the job you choose, at the salary you deserve — even in a recession.
- Dream Big, Sell More: Retail Training Course – Whether you are a part-time or full-time employee working for a retail store, whether you are new to sales or have years of experience, even if you are just thinking about making a move to retail selling, this program is for you. The retail sales approach presented in Dream Big, Sell More focuses on your relationship with your customers and on your performance. In just ten days, you will have discovered top salespeople’s tricks of the trade and be on the road to fulfilling your dreams.
Photo source Wikimedia Commons
Write a Comment
Gravatars are small images that can show your personality. You can get your gravatar for free today!