Skip to main content

How To Report Domestic Violence In India: Call These Helplines


Domestic violence is not just a problem of the lower and middle classes. It is very prevalent even among prominent people. For many it came as no surprise that Aam Aadmi Party MLA Somnath Bharti was involved in a case of domestic violence. The red flags were all there for those who know what to look for.

However, the signs of domestic violence (DV) are not always so obvious and a lot of women don’t report that they’re being abused. Even the woman’s own family is not always supportive at such times, because of the shame and guilt that surrounds such issues. Another concern that women face is how to prove domestic violence in India.

But, there is hope for women. On Sep 4, 2015, a Times of India news report stated that the Bombay high court set aside that part of a state government circular which prohibited counselling and mediation in domestic violence cases without a court order.

What this means is that domestic violence cases can now be resolved out of court, with the help of NGOs, counsellors and police, who will be allowed to counsel a woman “with regard to the course of action which she can take including joint counselling/mediation with her spouse/husband or her family members/in-laws.”

The guidelines further state that a violated woman must be informed about her right to choose her future course of action and that she must be guided with regard to her legal rights under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act. caught up with Barkha Bajaj, the Executive Director and Head counselor for Aks Foundation, which deals with domestic violence situations in Pune, to find out the options available to women suffering from domestic violence.

How severe is the problem of domestic violence in India?

It is quite severe – 80% of our calls are of domestic violence. Also, a lot of violence in India is not looked at as violence. As it is a patriarchy a lot of violence against women is expected and accepted.

What has been your experience with women who call in for help with domestic violence situations?

They need support more than anything else. There is a lot of self-blame, confusion, guilt and shame as they love their partners but are also fed up. A lot of them feel helpless and hopeless as they feel stuck in their situations.

How do the Aks Foundation and other organisations go about helping such women? What kind of support can women look to you for?

We provide 24/ 7 support through our crisis lines. Within Pune we also provide legal support and advocacy where our volunteers go with the survivors to the hospital or police station.

One line is dedicated for counseling services. We also liaise with other NGOs or look for lawyers in the city if the call is outside Pune.

What is your advice to women who are suffering from domestic violence and dowry demands? What is the first thing they should do when faced with such a situation?

If they want to leave, the law is strong and they should use legal channels. However, the first thing is to tell someone they can trust and get support. Don’t hide it and suffer alone.

How can women be aware of signs of controlling men and those prone to Domestic Violence? Can we take clues from how his parents treat one another?

Well there are red flags for eg:
– Extreme jealousy
– Isolating behaviors
– Controlling- who she sees, what she wears
– Intimidation and threats
– Emotional manipulation- making you feel guilty all the time

Power and control wheels are available online – which show you strategies used by perpetrators.

(You can download a printable copy of the power and control wheel here to help you understand what you’re going through)

Women often overlook red flags, thinking they can change the man once they are married to him. What would you like to tell such women?

We can only change ourselves and we cannot change someone else unless they want to change. Trying to rescue and change someone is a lost battle.

What change in mindset is required, for women and their families, to avoid getting into a situation involving domestic violence?

Education – gender sensitization, talking about gender in general and gender based violence. This should be part of all school curriculum.

What parting advice would you like to give young unmarried women in India?

Know the signs of power and control. Domestic Violence is about power and control so be aware. Also, if you feel in your gut it’s a bad decision – get counseling. Also, financial independence is important. 🙂

See our related post: Working Women Less Prone To Domestic Violence, Say Legal Experts

For women involved in a situation of Domestic Violence, please contact the helpline of the Aks Foundation in Pune below. They are available 24/7.

  • Domestic Violence Helpline In Pune

Aks Helpline Numbers: 8793088814 to talk to our volunteers anytime.

For legal advice, call: 8793088815

For psychological counselling, call: 8793088816.

The following organisations can be contacted in Delhi:

  • Women’s Organisations In Delhi

Sakshi Violence Intervention Center: (0124) 2562336/ 5018873

Shakti Shalini: 1091/ 1291 (011) 23317004

Shakti Shalini Women’s Shelter: (011) 24373736/ 24373737

SAARTHAK: (011) 26853846/ 26524061

All India Women’s Conference: 10921/ (011) 23389680

JAGORI: (011) 26692700

Joint Women’s Programme (also has branches in Bangalore, Kolkata, Chennai: (011) 24619821

  • Dial 1091 for Women’s Helpline in Bangalore/Bengaluru

Vanitha Sahayavani

Toll-Free No: 1091 (24/7)

Local: 080-22943225

Established in 1999 by the Bengaluru City Police, Vanitha Sahayavani provides immediate rescue and support for women in distress.

Accessible through toll-free number 1091, Vanitha Sahayavani provides free tele-counseling, police assistance, crisis intervention, services in case of domestic violence, harassment and abuse. Vanitha Sahayavani operates from the Office of The Commissioner of Police – 24/7.

  • DIAL 1298 for Women’s Helpline in Mumbai

DIAL 1298 Women Helpline, a toll-free women-dedicated service managed by Ziqitza Healthcare in Mumbai has successfully helped more than 38,000 women in distress through its network of 80 partner NGOs.

Launched in 2008 with the support of 10 NGOs, DIAL 1298 Women Helpline offers women across socio-economic strata legal, psychological, psychiatric, trauma, medical and other kinds of counseling through its associations with a variety of women oriented NGOs.

The Helpline addresses a wide range of complaints including dowry harassment, eve teasing, abuse, domestic violence, cyber crime, divorce and maintenance, sexual harassment at workplace, among others.

The helpline was initially launched with the support of 10 NGOs and now works closely with over 80 NGOs in and around Mumbai. DIAL 1298 Women Helpline is a referral helpline service. Any woman who needs help can DIAL 1298 and it will connect to Silver Innings Foundation.

The foundation will refer the caller to an NGO that will either address the issue at hand and provide counseling or negotiate with the family members to resolve the issue. In instances where the woman requires immediate assistance, then the call will be forwarded to 103 Police Helpline.

DIAL 1298 Women Helpline

  • Himachal Pradesh Helpline Number

Women Commission Phone Number :

Tip: If you are facing domestic abuse, DON’T look to take “revenge” on those who are trying to harm you.

It is a futile and endless journey and will leave you and your loved ones much worse off than if you just pick up your things, leave, and focus on building a new life for yourself and your children.

Get a job or build a business, and put all your energies into healing, not into punishing or getting back at your errant spouse. Moving forward and healing your own wounds is the ONLY way to get your life back.

The best “revenge” is to build a successful life without your abuser.

If you’re not yet married or are looking to marry again, read How To Avoid Marrying An Abuser.

If you work with a Domestic Violence Helpline in India, please post your contact information and comments below. We will add it to this post.




Powered by Facebook Comments

68 thoughts on “How To Report Domestic Violence In India: Call These Helplines

  1. Hi, my name is x ,,
    I have neighbors (tenants) recently shifted from different state and they have a strange behavior at their home ..

    I am not sure but they tend to beat torture someone on daily basis …

    I hear female voice screaming and shouting banging on walls it’s just that I don’t want to get into any kinda problem so I dint report dirctly

    Location is c 508 achal building kalyan complex yari road Andheri West..

    I have reported this to the owner of the house and probably they have given a warning but I am concerned about the person in the house getting tortured

    I really don’t want to disclose my name anywhere if u need anything u can ccontat me on my email I will revert

    If you immediate highlight this would be great help to the person in need …

  2. I am abhinav singla a boy of 17 years. In the past I also tried to do suicide by hanging and drinking poison but unfortunately, I am still alive . My father and my grandfather still torture my mother my sister and me physically and mentally. My father and grandfather both have becomes devil.Many family friends and relatives try to explain them but they did not listen to anyone rather they become more harsh to us.My paternal side is completely standing with my father and grand father.They too torture us. My father had a many bad habits of gambling,betting etc in which he losses near about 50 lakhs. My father also have outside affairs too. I am a +2 commerce student of DAV. They both don’t let my too study and do a lot of torture with three of us.Kindly help us.

    1. Abhinav, We are really sorry to hear about your ordeal, but we cannot help you directly. Instead, we recommend that you contact one of the organisations listed above. They will surely be able to help you.

      1. Sorry, I could not stop from writing this note. I understand if your organization is not equipped to intervene when people ask for help, but this is rather strange to see that you ask them to contact x, y, z if they need help. Someone, writes to you that either they are being abused or they see their neighbor being abused, they provide the address etc, and you still ask those individuals to contact someone else for help. Then how are you being helpful? Please remember that it takes a lot of courage for a lot of them to write what they had written and ask for help. That’s it. They may not seek help or write once again.
        Kindly refrain from giving answers that you cannot intervene. Please tie up with other organizations and you forward the details of persons seeking help if the help they are seeking is beyond your purview. Yes, they have knocked on a wrong door for help, but if you do not do anything, they will not another door once again.
        I hope you give a consideration to my concern.
        Thank you.

        1. Kvaddiparti, we understand your angst, but we also have certain limitations that make us unable to help directly.

          1. We are a publication, and do not have a helpline or offer legal or psychological counselling services.

          2. We are ill-equipped to understand the legalities or intricacies of the case and do not want to trouble the organisations concerned with cases that do not have merit.

          3. It is ALWAYS better for the person themselves to reach out to the organisations for help as they can explain their case best.

          This is why we have provided the numbers to contact on the page above and urge those facing domestic violence to themselves get in touch with them.

  3. Hi

    I am a victim of domestic violence as my husband is very insecure and blames me for everything has beaten me up also ,once i called 100 helpline too ,but cancelled it as my husband ran away from home ,there was fight everyday for everything,now i am staying with my sisters and i have a 4 years old son ,my husband keeps threatening me that he will commit suicide and kill my son too so that blame can fall on me ,he stalks me when i go to work and still comes and fights in my sisters house ,he does not let me take my stuff from the house ,harassing me very day . Please advise .

  4. Hey, i have a friend but the scenario is bit different, her parents are abusive & want her to marry the boy they select, and she denied, now they are forcing her, & sometimes said that we will kill you, & you are gonna die by our hands if you will not marry, although they are abusive but gave everything whatever needed for her..but now she is scared so is this came under domestic violence, or she can get a help? She is not financial independent.

    1. Yes, Viren. This definitely classifies as emotional abuse, although it’s very hard to report when it’s your own parents who are abusing you. I recommend that your friend call the numbers in the article above for psychological and legal advice.

  5. my sister has gone through a lot of pain and harassment .. her husband doesn’t even work nor he has taken any initiative … he uses drugs and injections .. beats her .. physically abuses her .. we registered a case against him in NCW and after counselling there’s no change in his behaviour .. my sister she is not ready to go and stay with him ,they have a 8 year old son .. she currently stays with us and works .. her husband daily harasses her to come with him abuses her and us too … we are really under threat and we cant go and launch official complaint with the local police station due to social pressure and they are financially strong too… we want to register a case against him for dowry and physical and mental torture and attempt to murder as well .. please help …

  6. Please help me to find the way to get freedom from this violence. Tell me the needful no in gzb whr I can send my details . Plz do answere

  7. Madam,

    Good afternoons,

    My younger sister is in very bad conditions because her husband is badly harassed her on daily basis. She is living in west Bengal, Alipurduar junction.

    Please help me.


      1. Pls help Harry his wife & her family demoralised intimidating isolated and locked Harry in illegal centre for 2 years. Possessed all his family property from the father on her name. She was so demanding wants to live a luxury life can’t track by bus. She came with one suit only when she got married. today father in law can’t talk with his children bcos in Harry’s absence she delivered a daughter on birth certificate Harry’s name father in law is the father and to keep her mouth shut he transferred the family property on her name. Can you help Harry pls to bring justice.

        1. We stay in mohali which no should we call for help.
          In domestic violence even men need help. It is 21century women also speak lies and put blame on others. We can not clap with one hand pls help men too.

  8. Mere sasural se mujhe dhamki wale calls as rahe hai SaaS sasur aur band ke ke pati ko chor do nhi toh goli maar dege mujhe

  9. Respated sir mam
    Mam my sister husband in army there both do love married by now my sister husband use to bet her all the time and he take her phone that see can’t connect us plz mam gave any suggestion how I help her she have one son they live in dehradun.. Plz mam…

  10. I live in joint family….n a housewife ….my father in law is alcoholic n retired….he drinks n abuse by picking fight …..husband is away for job …..they advice that if he is under influence….don’t talk to him ,don’t react blah blah …..Is it really so easy to deal every other day …..we want peaceful atmosphere at home ……..kindly suggest

  11. My name is ann .. this is my boyfriends phone number his account. Sorry but I’ve no account that’s why . I love him his name is James. We have been together for 2 years now we r thinking of marriage. But he has anger issues he is very short temper he always beats me even says dirty words to me. But I hide it from everyone thinking maybe he will change one day he even tried to kill me twice. But I am still with him because I love him and I want to marry him.. but the way he treats me I can’t take it anymore. But I don’t know what to do because even if I leave him I come back again. Is this love? Does he love me? Or am I a fool? Thinking of a happy ending with him?
    Everyone told me to leave him.. my parents. Family. .friends even his dad but I didn’t listen because of our old memories happy ones where there was no violence. .I never cheated on him I didn’t even thought of but he always doubts me ..I’m innocent. . Please help me I’m still crying now because few hours ago he kicked me really hard many times on my back but I’m still quite. Not he got his toe nail broken while kicking me but he is still blaming it all on me.

    1. Dear Ann,

      A man who hits you is NOT a man who loves you. Period.

      Get away from this abuser as soon as possible and start healing from this abuse.

      Get your own life, career and build your self-esteem before you get into another relationship.

  12. i have completed four years of my marriage after completing six months of my marriage my husband started beating and abusing me and my parents, my sister and mother in law is always saying what your father can give to you we have already seen in your marriage every time both the ladies are abusing my parents and me ,if i am informing about all these issues that didi and mummy is abusing me with very bad language then my husband started beating me without understanding the issues.and now they are stopping me for doing work as well i am working but now i had left my job just bcoz of family pressure.what should i do i am not able to understand .

  13. Hi,
    I hear my neighbour abusing his wife and children almost every night(after he gets drunk). Sometimes I can hear he throws things also at them. Although the family seems very normal in the day time, can I help the lady and kids without me being involved formally?? I feel pity for the children as the environment is not good for them.

  14. Hi,
    Can anyone help me to pass helpline number related to domestic violence from Bangalore. Where i can get prompt response?


  15. Hi
    I am a mother of 3 month old infant. My husband and in laws start torturing me when I was 7 months pregnant at that time I avoided that and came to my parents place after my delivery.Then my husband changed the rented flat and he is not giving me the address I am asking him for address from past 2 months and he is saying ki I don’t want to live with you. I am unable to understand what to do please help.

    1. Lalita, My question to you is this. Why do you want to go back to an awful human being who:
      – tortures you
      – doesn’t want you back
      – doesn’t care about you, your child or your feelings?

      Really, why? When this man tells you, in no uncertain terms, that he doesn’t want to be with you, why don’t you get the message and move on?

      Please hire a lawyer and file for divorce from this person. Start a new life on your own and with your child. If your parents can support you for a while, all the better.

      1. I cann’t do this as of now as my all certificates and job related documents are with him I will take this step but before that I want all my documents back.
        How can I get those documents without going there.

        1. Don’t expect to get your property back. It is possible to apply for duplicate copies of all your certificates stating that you lost them. You don’t need to go back there ever.

  16. Respected Sir/Mam

    Mam my sister husband works as a Textile Engineer in Vardhaman Textile at Baddi, Himachal Pradesh. They do love marriage and they have two children’s but now my sister husband abusing to my sister and their children’s almost every night after he gets drunk. Many times he beat my sister badly and day by day his nuisance are increasing. Please mam give any suggestion how I help her and give me the helpline number related to domestic violence.

  17. Hi,

    It has been 7 months of my marriage and my husband beats me very badly. I am now not able to tolerate this insult anymore. I don’t have any family support as I married this man out of my own will. Please help me

    1. First please lodge a complaint with the women’s cell of your local police station. Then call one of the helplines above for legal advice. Prepare to leave your home and start out on your own. A man who beats you is not a man who loves you, no matter how he behaves on his good days.

  18. Hi,
    I have filed a DV case against my brother. I lost my dad 2 years back. Form that time I am facing DV. He don’t give me money for my day to day expenses and also for my treatment. I am a patient of osteoporosis. I filed the case one month back​. Today was my statement date it got cancelled. Again I got date after 10 days. This procedure takes too much time. Is there any option to get help at the earliest.

    As I’m unemployed and my dad left huge monthly income.

  19. Hi.
    My marriage is an love marraige bt my mother inlaw doesnt like me she always use to fight wid me on 9july my husband snt me my home n said i vl come n take u home later bt after a week he snt me notice stating for divorce nw thy r nt tlkng wid me n nt even sayng anythg n says v wnt divorce pls suggest me any help as its being just two mnths for my marriage n thy leave me n ask fr divorce pls hlp me n suggest for help in pune.


  20. Hi my friend is married for last 21 years . After 18 years of marriage she gave birth to a child. Her in laws was get upset because of baby’s birth. Her mother in law always tease her . Now they harass her everyday . His husband is God fearing and good by nature. After their baby’s birth her in laws told them to give their office to their younger son . Her brother in law is not a good person. His wife always tease her . Her mother in law and brother in law and his wife use very abusing language and even hit her and her baby many times. Now her father in law threading her everyday that he’ll complain against her . And he’ll lodge a complaint that she is harassing senior citizen. As she is very sincere and honest girl . Please let us know that if her father in law will complain against her than what she’ll does.

  21. My friend’s father in law always threat her that they’ll do complain against her that she is harassing senior citizen.but in real they harass her everyday from last 21 yrs

  22. Hi Mam. I’m from Patna. Please provide me any active women helpline number where I can complain against domestic violence. I’m stuck in worst situation. Please help me.

  23. Hi, I live in Cochin, Kerala and have been married for 6 years now. my husband verbally abuse me and always asks me to leave the house. This all started after I refused to pay the rent for the house that we are living in. Now even his father has started saying the same thing. Please help me… I have a daughter who is just 2 years old. I can’t go to my parents because mine is a love marriage. Kindly give some guidance on how to handle the situation.

  24. Pls advice me.I got married in Jan 2016.I was under domestic violence and dowry harassment for 4 months.I literally escaped out from my husband by my neighbour uncle when my husband tried to kill me. I came back to my family on July 11 2016. I have filed case for divorce.Till now the case is in court.He accepted for mutual divorce.however he denies all allegations.He doesnt feel guilty of his violence towards me😢😢😢😢.I was the victim and I need justice Divorce can save me but what if he does the same to other girl.My mistake was I did not go to police and give complaint during the problem since I dont want my mom to know my suffering😞😞 He used me and now he is free to live happily. Me n my family are suffering with the words from the society. Is there no punishment for him.???
    Is divorce the only solution??? I have got lot of beatings and got hurt physically and mentally by him and his family.But now no punishment for them..How is this fair..Pls tell me what should I do. Any help..

    1. Christina, I commend you for getting out and filing for divorce. Stop feeling bad that this man will be punished. Karma will take care of him eventually. It is not your job to seek revenge or to punish him. Focus on your own life and career and stop focusing on him. Leave the past behind and look to the future. Many women are not as lucky as you.

  25. I live in Mumbai II want to do love marrage but may family is against it,
    For which they beat me and they are always saying that they will kill me or my lover.
    I m a working women,but then also they are pressurized me to marry another guy
    Please help me otherwise they will harm me.

    1. Shilpa, you cannot depend on your family and have your own source of income, so it is best that you live separately from them and go to the police to report their death threats.

  26. Hi i am from punjab. I waz in usa on visitor visa den i got married their to an indian guy who is originally from delhi. He use to drunk n may be some other drug things too because he owns his smoke shop there.i came back when i came to know that i am pregnant .he cancelled my visa n want to get divorce from me.Please help me.

  27. Hi my sister marriage has been done six months back it’s been arranged marriage after first meeting n before marriage his husband used to spend lots of tym with her lots of conversations but after marriage only fighting always trying to manipulate her that u r wrong u r guilty n u should b srry never ever do dis again n ur family is wrong only wants to leave her at his parents home wants that his wife should live like a servant for his father n mother never do complaints n demands n foget ur parents never used to motivate her in anything even if work whole day for him or his mother the man n his mother n his sisters always do planning n plotting how to control her n make her unhappy please suggest me Wat should my sister do as she don’t want to loose his husband too bcz she has loved him from the vry first day n she thinks may from nxt morning he used to luv her n respect her feelings

  28. I’m facing mental and physical torture from my husband and in lows since 1yr, my husband fights with me for more dowry ..I hv complainted against them all…this all comes undr act of domestice voilence… kalam 498. Bt local police station registered simple case… what should I do? Plzz suggest me contact details for Ahmednagar district… to charge this case under 498..

  29. Hi mam , from 1yr I’m badly suffering from domestic violence from my husband and inot laws.. I have given complaint against them all in local police station.. please give me active contact details for Ahmed nagar district to charge 498… plzz

  30. Hi I m writting this to you for your advice and support.. I m Deblina from kolkata who is undergoing torture mentally and physically.. My husband and I married and started staying in Bangalore and everything was going well we were happy until when I stopped working and bringing money he started tourtouring me beating me hitting me abusing me with worst slang started forcing me for sex forcing me to do house work while I started falling sick and the he started to threaten to kill me and attempted to murder me by pressing my neck with wall hitting me beating me but I kept quite.. Every day he started doing this and when he was done with beating me he used to force me for sex and when I said no he used to say it’s mutual after all this I still kept quite as I started falling sick day by day one day he tortured me and tried to push me out of his home for financial crisis and I couldn’t tolerate and I left and he emotionally blackmailed me so that I come back and I returned .. This continued and suddenly one day I got to know I m pregnant and I was scared to say Anupam Das(husband) about this as I know he would definitely kill me but I still informed him as I expected that our baby would end all this negativity of my husband so I informed him and he was OK after knowing that but he didn’t want to accept he planned to kill our baby.. What he did was took me to gynecelogist and confirmed that everything is fine so that I don’t report to police and he after a month started torturing me again and again he attempted to kick my belly he tried many things but I begged him to stop and also said that I would report complaint or commit suicide so he called his mother and father and involved them in his plan to abord our baby so his parents started convincing me and blackmailing me saying that they’ll accept me and officially get us married if I avoid but I don’t accept and they all started tourtouring me all together and after 3month 6 week he and his mother force fully made me to abord our baby.. And I couldn’t find any help and now they are forcing me to get dowry only then they’ll accept me this is what they are doing to me please save me and my married life help me please..

    1. Deblina,

      We have forwarded your email to the Women’s commission in Delhi. However, we have to ask why you seem so helpless. Are you not a grown, adult woman who can take her own decisions? If so, then please leave this abusive home and find another place to live. Get a job. Be financially independent. Stop acting helpless and get your own life together.

  31. Hello Ma’am,
    My name is Sana and I’m 27 yrs old and belong to very middle class family. My prblm is that when I was jst 19 yrs old in 2010 I got married and I was suffering from domestic violence in which my in-laws also encourage my husband and they never stoped him. I have suffered that for 5 yrs and never told that to my parents coz they love me so much and they can not handle my pain and I also don’t want to leave my husband. one day he beaten me very badly that I can’t walk or even I can’t talk then I called my father and he took me back and we filed for divorce and got divorce in 2016. But till date they don’t have returned dowry and jewellery which my father has given at the tym of marriage. I don’t know how will I get any support to get my things back. Plz guide me I can’t see my fathers pain.

    1. The time to ask for your dowry and jewelry was at the time of getting the divorce. It is unlikely that you will get it back now. Consult a lawyer to explore your options.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *