Income Tax Exemptions for Women in India: What You Need To Know
- Monday, February 13, 2012, 22:53
- Indian Women, Money For Women, Personal Finance, Women Empowerment, Women's Interests
- Add a comment
The Budget doesn’t really offer too many exclusive benefits to women, but in general there are some areas where everyone can save on tax. Here’s a look at what’s beneficial from a tax perspective, so women can make their choices wisely.
With effect from April 1st 2011, salaried women have a 10% tax deduction if their employer has invested more than Rs.1,00,000 in the Central Government’s Pension Scheme. There are many different investment options which help in saving tax, and one should always read and research these thoroughly before investing.
Earlier men solely made financial decisions and did all the investing. Now women are not to be left behind, and a lot of them do extensive research on investment options before deciding on what’s best for them.
The most well known Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, offers many tax benefits to investors. One can invest in instruments such as Public Provident Fund (PPF), National Savings Certificate (NSC), Tax Saving Fixed Deposits (FD) and so on, up to a limit of Rs.1,00,000.
Beyond this, one can also purchase Infrastructure Bonds up to Rs. 20,000. There are some market linked products such as Equity Linked Saving Scheme (ELSS) and Unit Linked Insurance Plan (ULIP) which can also be considered.
The risk that you can take with your money varies inversely as your age. If you are in your early working years, you can allocate a higher proportion to ELSS investments as opposed to the fixed income investments such as PPF and NSC.
If you are living in a rented accommodation, then be sure to claim HRA (House Rent Allowance) tax benefits. There are 3 factors which are considered for HRA – the actual rent allowance given by employer, 50% of basic pay in metros (40% in non metros) and actual rent paid minus 10% of basic pay.
The least of these 3 factors is what you claim as HRA for tax exemption. There are tax exemptions offered on home loans under Section 80C, and on interest under Section 24. These should also be availed of wherever applicable. Investing together offers some benefits for a couple, such as eligibility for loans.
While doing tax planning and taking investment decisions women should consider three factors – age, income and what financial goals they have set independently as well as from a family perspective.
A right balance of low risk investments such as fixed deposits, and medium and high risk investments such as shares, gold and real estate needs to be struck.
Consider consulting a certified and trusted financial planner as they have the knowledge as well as experience to manage money and put you on the right track.
This is an excerpt from “Personal Finance For Women In India: Plan Your Path To Financial Freedom Forever” authored by Ankush Thakur & Priya Florence Shah, and published by the Naaree™ Academy for Indian Women Achievers.
- Barbara Stanny’s Tele-Seminars – Barbara Stanny is on a mission – to inspire women to become financially empowered. Her eye-opening presentations convey an encouraging message: when you take charge of your money, you take control of your life. And it’s so much simpler than most people realize. A highly entertaining speaker, Barbara immediately engages her audience with her own dramatic story, inspiring anecdotes, and grounded advice. Barbara teaches women how to map out their financial futures, and shares her secrets for personal empowerment. Her journey to financial enlightenment is an inspiring story, and became the basis for her best-selling books, private coaching and popular workshops.
- FREE 27 page Financial Literacy Report by Loral Langemeier:“The 8 Fundamentals of Building and Sustaining Lifelong Wealth” – Money is power. It’s about time you learn how to earn it, accumulate it, grow it, spend it and manage it like a pro. Loral Langemeier is the best selling author of the Millionaire Maker series of books and Put More Cash In Your Pocket. She is also an internationally acclaimed speaker and money expert.
- The 8 Steps to Wealth – Learn the secrets steps most millionaires follow to become wealthy. Quit learning from people who teach wealth, but have not created it for themselves. In this program, you will learn The 8 Steps to Wealth system that made Linda P. Jones a millionaire and shows you the roadmap of how to create serious wealth. This step-by-step program is easy to follow and implement. Begin with a “wealthy mindset” and end with creating your legacy.
Write a Comment
Gravatars are small images that can show your personality. You can get your gravatar for free today!