Indian Women Entrepreneurs: Priya Paul, Chairperson, Apeejay Park Hotels
- Friday, November 11, 2011, 7:13
- Business Women, Indian Women, Women Entrepreneurs, Women In Business, Women Leaders
- 1 comment
Priya Paul is the epitome of the superwoman. Not only is she the Chairperson of the Hospitality Division of the Apeejay Surrendra Group, which owns the prestigious line of The Park Hotels, she also embraces a multitude of other roles with equal ease and grace.
A successful woman entrepreneur, loyal wife, devoted mother, strong feminist and an active industry supporter, it is clear why she has often been dubbed as the leading lady of the Indian Hospitality Industry.
Some may say that she was born with a silver spoon. The daughter of Surrendra Paul, the founder of the first Park Hotel in Kolkatta, Priya Paul was certain from the tender age if 10 that she was going to grow up to be an entrepreneur. Despite her illustrious lineage, getting there was no easy feat.
Her career decision lay in the hands of her family, who toyed with several industry portfolios including shipping, tea, real estate, construction and financial services before finally settling on the hospitality industry. A decision, which in retrospection, was the perfect career choice for this creative and sociable woman.
Armed with a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Wellesley College, USA, she returned to India in 1988 to join her father as Marketing Manager of The Park Hotel, New Delhi. She was only 22.
Fate however, had other plans. After her father’s untimely death in 1990, with just two years of experience in the hospitality industry, Priya Paul stepped in to fill her father’s (rather large) shoes as the Chairperson of The Park Hotel chain and there has been no looking back since.
With this creative young entrepreneur leading the reins, the hotel chain soon underwent a transformation. With a vision of turning the hotel into a space where guests did not just stay confined to their rooms but indulged in an experience of luxury and comfort throughout the hotel, she set about creating a hotel that was architecturally unique.
Drawing from her wanderlust and travelling experiences, she managed to create for the first time in India, a hotel chain with sophisticated interiors and decorative themes. Thus, Ms Paul single-handedly pioneered the concept of boutique hotels in India.
Today, The Park Hotel chain is a name to reckon with in the hospitality industry with a nationwide presence in Kolkatta, Chennai, New Delhi, Vishakapatnam, Hyderabad and Bangalore.
The hotels have also won international acclaim with the UK’s Tatler magazine rating The Park Hotel (Bangalore) as one of the 101 Best Hotels Worldwide in 2003. This, incidentally, happens to be Priya Paul’s favourite hotel.
It is not only her hotels which have won national and international recognition. Priya Paul was named the Young Entrepreneur of the year by the Federation of Hotels and Restaurants Association, India in the year 1999-2000. She was won the Economic Times Business Person of the Year in 2002-2003.
Juggling her many roles as Chairperson of Park Hotel, President if the Hotel Association of India (HAI), member of the National Tourism Advisory Council, founding member of the World Travel Tourism Council India Initiative, member of the board of trustees South Asia Women’s Fund and member of the Advisory Board of Directors, Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow, are enough to keep anyone’s plate full, but with up-coming hotel projects in Mumbai and other parts of India, there seems to be no task that’s too much for this superwoman.
This article may be reproduced with attribution to www.naaree.com
Business Coaching For Women:
- How the Best Leaders Lead: Proven Secrets to Getting the Most Out of Yourself and Others – Learn how managers at all levels can triple company profits by increasing effectiveness as a solid business leader. Leadership is the critical factor that determines the success of any business or department. Business expert, Brian Tracy, reveals the strategies used by top executives and business owners everywhere to achieve astounding results in difficult markets against determined competition. He gives you a series of practical, proven ideas and strategies that leaders and managers at every level can use immediately.
- Business Success Cafe – Do you find it hard to find the time to learn what you need to know to grow your business? No room in your budget to attend expensive seminars? If that’s you, then you will love the Business Success Café – a weekly gathering of small business owners from around the globe. You and your peers come together via a telephone conference (with an optional webcast) to learn first-hand from a wide variety of business growth experts who will share information, tips and insider secrets in JUST 20 minutes (the perfect coffee break!) and all you need is a phone. And best of all…it’s FREE.
- FREE Summer School for Entrepreneurs – Are you struggling on your own to build and grow your business? When you started your business, were you shocked by how much you DIDN’T know? This course is designed for business owners who want to improve their lives and businesses, who seek ‘real life’ skills & resources (not theory). The syllabus includes a total of 18 lectures packed with boatloads of practical, valuable ‘real world’ lessons.
Image source YouthKiAwaaz