Jobs For Women Over 50: New Career Ideas For Older Women
- Monday, July 4, 2011, 14:29
- Career Tips, Career Women, Careers, Home Business, Self-Employed Women, Women Empowerment, Women Entrepreneurs, Women's Interests, Working Women
- 1 comment
Entering a new career at a later age in life can be risky. Changing careers past 50 is sometimes motivated by the desire to try something new; at other times, circumstances force it.
That been said, there are a number of options available when it comes to looking for a new career post-retirement. In almost all fields, older women can effectively leverage their rich professional experiences and personal wisdom and maturity. Here are some ideas to get you thinking.
- Going Entrepreneurial:
If you have the resources, starting up a business of your own is a good option at this age. By the time you’re 50, you will have accumulated thirty-odd years’ worth of experience in terms of work, time management, and interacting and understanding other people – good qualities to have to have in the entrepreneurial field.
Additionally, you get to be your own boss, about as nice a change as could be for the majority of us out there. Build on your interests to fuel your venture with passion – if you’re the creative type, think dance academies, libraries, art centres, social organisations; if you’re into technology, think of becoming a tech-brand’s franchisee. If you like animals – why not start a kennel or grooming centre?
- Setting Up a Tutoring Centre:
Running a tutoring or tuition centre from home can be a low-investment, high-returns venture, provided you start simple. The most you’ll need is an area of your home you cordon off from the rest of your family during work hours, a table, some chairs, and stationery.
Depending on your educational qualifications, you can teach any age group of children an unlimited number of subjects. Spread the word around through flyers, advertisements, and social networking websites, and in time, you can have a steady income throughout the year – sometimes with bonuses during exam time!
- Working Freelance:
This is another great option for women over 50. A vast number of companies abroad prefer to outsource their administrative, clerical, data-entry, and even content and creative writing assignments directly to individuals in India. Freelancer and oDesk are just two examples of websites which connect clients to potential freelance workers.
- Network Marketing:
Network marketing does often come off as vaguely dodgy and pyramid-scheme-like, but there are a few well-established companies out there with whom one can earn and save good amounts of money.
Always research thoroughly first into the history of the company, and try to get reviews from family, friends, and acquaintances not directly in their employ to get a good idea of how they work.
Amway, Herbalife, Avon and Oriflame are examples of established direct-selling companies that use network marketing to sell their products.
- Unusual Career Options:
If you’re looking for an additional source of income (as opposed to switching careers outright), the concept of mystery shopping might appeal to you. This is when a company commissions individuals to shop at their stores and review the quality of the goods and services provided – but secretly, without identifying themselves as reviewers.
The entire experience can be pretty fun overall, and will certainly appeal to those who prefer unconventional avenues. International Service Check is one such company with several Indian and international clients.
- Points to Note:
• Sometimes, going solo by creating your own job as a woman past 50 is just not possible. You may not have the finances, resources, or support to do so. When searching for a job past 50, the biggest factor that goes against you when it comes to employers is that they will automatically assume that you expect to be paid as highly as you would’ve been in your previous job/career.
Consequently, when filling positions, they prefer to exhaust their pool of younger (and cheaper) applicants before they can consider you. It’s best to indicate on your letter of application that you’re willing to be paid at the same level an entry-level candidate would receive.
• Don’t be disheartened when new colleagues assume you’re stuck in the Stone Age when it comes to technology – prove them wrong. If you actually do need to brush up on your tech skills, though, try to do so as soon as possible.
• Expecting to replicate the level of success of your previous job/career can be unrealistic – remember that it took you close to thirty years to get where you were before. At the same time, it’s not a bad thing to continue to be ambitious and to want to grow. Try to maintain a balance between your expectations and reality.
This article may be reprinted with attribution and a live link back to www.naaree.com
Career Resources for Women:
- 22 Top Secrets to Business Success & Advancement for Women – Develop and start executing a winning plan in just 7 days with the latest cutting edge information on business success and career advancement. Discover the key reasons why the best leaders are so successful and what you can learn from them to help you reach your business objectives and career goals. Why take the risk you wouldn’t be as successful as you could be? Learn from the experiences of others to help you in your situation. Avoid the mistakes that derail many women in business. Just imagine being able to get on the track to success in just 7 days (or less) without using gimmicks, making bad choices or spending a fortune on expensive courses, coaches and training programs.
- IT Training Center – Why take computer training courses online? In today’s competitive job market, having up-to-date technology skills is a must. Online training provides an easy, cost-effective means of acquiring proficiency in a variety of computing skills.A premier provider of e-Learning solutions for over 20 years with more than 1.4 million licensed learners worldwide. 59 industry certifications offered. Committed to being the premier online training center in the world by offering the largest selection of comprehensive courses online, at simply incredible prices. Offering hundreds of computer training online courses. Courses are presented with English text & audio, graphics, animation & simulations. Certificates provided.
- Elite Mystery Shopper – Have you ever dreamed of working the hours you choose, the days you choose, and getting paid well for work that is actually fun? If you’d like to get paid for shopping and dining out in, and earn good money (plus keep the things you buy for free!), then join and get access to 175+ companies that are hiring Mystery Shoppers. If you want a flexible work schedule, the freedom to pick the jobs that interest you, and very competitive hourly rates, you’ll love the resources in our Members’ Area.
Photo source victorward