The Top 10 Businesses Owned By Women Entrepreneurs In India
- Friday, June 17, 2011, 7:23
- Business Women, Indian Women, Women Empowerment, Women Entrepreneurs, Women In Business, Women Leaders, Women's Interests
- Add a comment
Women have emerged as a force to reckon with in the sphere of business and entrepreneurship, in the past decade. This is evident from some of the large women owned businesses that are adding significantly to India’s economy.
Let’s take a look at the top ten women owned businesses in the country.
- Biocon Limited
This is India’s biggest answer to the fast-growing biotechnology sector in the world. The Chairperson and Managing Director of the company, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, started this venture in a Bangalore garage with an initial capital of Rs. 10,000. Now her company is worth well over $1.2 billion and has the largest statin, insulin and perfusion-based antibody facilities in Asia.
- Apeejay: The Park Hotel chain
Priya Paul, the Chairperson of the company, joined her family business when she was 24, after the assassination of her father, Surrendra Paul. Today, under Paul’s leadership, the Park Group is all set to launch their tenth boutique hotel in Pune in 2011.
- Trent Limited
It is the retail part of one of the largest conglomerate in India, Tata Group. This Rs. 350 crore company is the name behind the popular cosmetic brand, Lakme and the retail chain, Westside. The owner, Simone Tata, is listed as the 11th most powerful women in India.
Undoubtedly the most popular production house in India, Balaji Telefilms practically gave the television a makeover. By producing trend-setting soaps and movies, this is one of the most powerful women owned businesses in India (owned by Ekta Kapoor).
- Shahnaz Herbal Inc
The CEO of this enterprise, Shahnaz Hussain, gave a new meaning to holistic treatment by manufacturing 100% herbal products in the land of Ayurveda. Today, this company operates in over 138 nations with over 600 active franchise clinics.
- Shri Mahila Griha Udyog Lijjat Papad
The story behind the beginning of this company is the most cited example in any discussion about women owned businesses in India. Started by a group of seven women on the terrace of a Mumbai “chawl”, this Rs. 650 crore organization now stands tall as an icon of sheer woman-power.
- Kinetic Motor Company Limited and Kinetic Marketing Services Limited
No introduction is needed for this two-wheeler manufacturer. Sulajja Firodia Motwani is the name to reckon with in these women owned businesses, who is also made the Joint Managing Director of Kinetic Engineering Limited.
- Tractors and Farm Equipment Limited (TAFE)
This Chennai-based tractor and other farm equipment manufacturer is the largest of its kind in the nation. Mallika Srinivasan is the Director of this organization whose contributions have made the company’s profits jump from Rs. 85 crore to a massive Rs. 2900 crore.
- AZB & Partners
Zia Mody’s strategic contributions to this top corporate law firm of India have made it scale great profits and success. She has also been awarded as the Best Knowledge Manager by Financial Express.
Raj Kapoor’s daughter, Karishma and Kareena Kapoor’s aunt and mother-in-law of Amitabh Bachchan’s daughter, Shweta, Ritu Nanda is also India’s most powerful insurance advisor and the CEO of Escolife. Under her tutelage, this woman owned business has scaled such success that very few companies of its category have ever seen.
So, don’t let your gender bog you down if you have a dream of starting your own business. All these women have one thing in common – determination, which is the essence for success in anyone’s life.
This article may be reprinted with a live link back to www.naaree.com
Business Coaching for Women:
- The Inspiring Women Summit – Want greater clarity, alignment and a better sense of your own internal foundations for personal meaning and success? It is time for feminine values, wisdom, and virtues to take a fully equal role in creating a world that works for all. Access the recordings of 28 far-ranging dialogues with 61 amazing women leaders that were filled with insights, laughter, and incredible empowerment. Reconnect with your passion and your purpose and learn what it means to be inspiring woman leader in a patriarchal culture.
- The Enlightened Business Summit – Get free access to the recordings of dialogues between 40 top-tier CEOs, New York Times bestselling authors, TED speakers, and provocateurs exploring how business can make the world a better place in the 21st century. We don’t have to choose between inspired employees and sizable profits. Great companies aspire to create both – and in the process create great places to work.
- Spiritual Woman Entrepreneur International – Are you a spiritual woman entrepreneur who is here to transform lives with your business…but have trouble filling your practice? Join a program and community that offers the structure, support, and guidance you’ve been asking for and get the guidance to create a new paradigm of business and leadership to help the world evolve to the next level of consciousness.